In second grade, students get more comfortable with their schooling routine as they have at least two years under their belt. Students become more confident and independent by second grade.
Second Grade Math
In math, the students get more logical to derive connections between numbers. They get familiar with three and four-digit numbers.
They get more comferatble with:
- Adding two- and three-digit numbers.
- Subtracting two- and three-digit numbers.
- Knowing the order of addition and subtraction operations.
- Knowing the addition and subtraction, fact families.
- Starting learning multiplication and division, fact families.
- Recognizing patterns.
- Rounding whole numbers to the nearest 10.
- Knowing place value to the thousands.
- Understanding money including coins and bills, counting, adding, and subtracting money.
- Telling Time to the nearest five minutes.
- Recognizing two-dimensional geometric figures.
- Solving word problems.
- Learning about even and odd numbers.
- Using tally marks to count by five.
- Reading and making graphs.
- Writing numbers in word form.
Second Grade Writing
It is amazing to see how your second grader is writing in sentences with capital letters and proper punctuation. Your second grader should be able to:
- Write in complete sentences with appropriate punctuation.
- Use capital letters correctly.
- Edit his or her own writing for spelling and punctuation.
- Write stories with a beginning, middle and end.
- Understand and use first-person and third-person point of view.
- Be able to do basic research from a non-fiction book.
- Use and understand contractions.
Second Grade Reading
This is the year kids are challenged to become more fluent readers. They are expected to go beyond using decoding skills to figure out unfamiliar words and use context clues instead.
Retelling stories, summarizing what they read and activating logic and imagination by predicting what will happen next in the story will be huge part in this year’s reading expectations. Kids are expected to;
- Retell what happened in a story including main ideas, details about characters, setting, and events.
- Make connections to their own background knowledge.
- Read and comprehend main ideas.
- Read silently.
- Author’s purpose and craft.
- Comprehension skills.
- Development of phonological awareness.
Second Grade Science
The Science curriculum depends on your school district. Most often, second-grade scientists will be required to make predictions, find patterns in nature and learn about the Earth and its natural resources.
The second grade is preparation for a third grade when things start to get a little serious. Even though these things seem a lot when you read all together, kids’ growth in this grade is astonishing, and they absorb the knowledge like a sponge! Having said that, every kid is different and every kid needs a different time to grasp a certain concept.
I always believe, education should be enjoyable and never be treated as a burden. Hence, if your kid is struggling in certain areas, let him/her take his/her own time to understand the subject.